Tuesday 7 May 2013

Exam Evaluation

Interpreting the theme   
I interpreted the exam theme: 'Cover and Obscure' as a phrase that means to hide 'something' (depending on what brief you chose) in a strange way. I explored this in a variety of ways; experimenting with different typography; my own handmade experiments; newspaper cut outs of letters, using different materials for example: tracing paper, paper with squares, as well as experimenting different sizes by photocopying my own work, scanning and changing the scale. I also experimented with coloured pencils and created 'directional' lines on the letters 'C' & 'D' with a fine liner.

Once I had completed all of this experimentation I decided on what path I wanted to take for my final outcome. This path was 'food typography' inspired by Vladimir Koncar. As the theme was 'food typography' I decided to use sweets to create my typography, and as well as the theme for the phrases I intended on creating. (Therefore my phrases were created using the meaning of the word 'sweet' for example: 'Home Sweet Home'). I then experimented making typography using sweets and a sweet substance; syrup and made words/phrases such as: 'Sweet', 'Sour', 'Home Sweet Home', ' Sweet as' etc..

 I took a trip to the Photographers Gallery to collect some primary research of artist's collages to add to my ideas for a final outcome. After realising that I will not create a collage for my final outcome I made three initial ideas. The first was was an Oscar Wilson inspired design; a 3D calligram model. The second idea was a Vladimir Koncar inspired design using sweets and sewing pins to stick out of the letters spelling out the phrase: 'Revenge Is Sweet'. Lastly I made a third initial idea, also inspired by Vladimir Koncar spelling out 'Take the bitter with the sweet', although it was a Vladimir Koncar design, the only two letters that I would create with something edible are: 'bitter' with sweets and 'sweet' with lemon pips/seeds. 

Over the course of the project I have mainly developed my first inital idea which will say: 'Home Sweet Home'. My final outcome will be made using the cross-stitch technique with each word on an embroidery hoop seperately. I will use black thread to thread the words into a fabric that I will buy with small imprinted flowers. I will also print black lines onto the fabric, symbolising a prison. This symbolism will also be presented with barbwire that I will place around the edges of the hoops.  

Recording observations
I have recored my experiments in my blog and and sketchbook by writing annotations of what I did, what I used, who influenced me and how I could improve my ideas.

Idea development   
After developing all of my intial ideas at least once I continued developing the first idea as I enjoyed it the most.  

I will choose a develpment of my first intial idea for my final outcome. This is because I have enjoyed exploring this idea the most, with different techniques and materials creating the typography. I have also decided to use my first idea for my final outcome because I think the phrase 'Home Sweet Home' can relate to a wider population than the other two phrases; 'Revenge is Sweet' and ' Take the bitter with the sweet'. I think this simply because everybody lives somewhere and has their own interpretation of what a home is, according to how and where they live. Therefore my outcome will not have a specific target market.


Influences
Unfortunately, The exhibition that I visited; Photographer's Gallery; Perspectives on Collage. However, I have mainly been influenced by Vladimir Koncar for this project has I followed the pathway of 'food typography' after doing experiments influenced by a range of artists. This sweet type is the art piece that had inspired me to focus my typography experiments and outcome on 'sweets', as in the meaning and physically substance/food;



I liked the way that Vladimir had 'written' a phrase about the 'sweetness of typography' with gummy bear sweets as he has deepened the meaning of 'sweetness' in this phrase by using the sweets. Also, he has highlighted the fact that he has created a play on words by using something that is actually sweet to create the typography, as typography cannot taste sweet. 

Final Piece
For my final piece I will make three embroidery hoops, with one word on each; the first one will say 'Home' with a second one below saying 'Sweet' and a third hoop below saying 'Home'. The embroidery hoops will have the words cross-stitched on with black thread onto a piece of flowered material and black vertical lines that I would have printed on the fabric. I will also place barbwire around the embroidery hoops in coils. 

I have decided to use black thread, black vertical lines and barbwire to create an opposite (visual) meaning of the phrase. Therefore I will create a double meaning using typography and imagery; the phrase will say 'Home Sweet Home' which basically means to have a loving home, and the lines, thread and barbwire will represent a prison which is the complete opposite to a loving home. (The patterened material that I will stitch onto also represents a 'loving home' and flowers usually represent/symbolise something 'nice'). 

Conclusion
I found the exam theme quite fun to explore, although I found it difficult towards the begging of the project as I lacked independant work. The lack of independant research that I had made it take longer for me to explore different themes and techniques. However, once I had decided to create food typography after being inspired by Vladimir Koncar, I was able to do my own experiments independantly which broadened my range of ideas for my final outcome. Although at one point I decided that I would create a food type for my final outcome, I developed my first initial idea and decided to create a stitching type instead. I think I will be pleased with my final outcome because my intentions will be clear and it will meet the exam theme; Covert and Obscure. I know this because the phrase that I will stitch onto the fabric will not link with the imagery apart from the flowered material; this is what will allow the outcome to meet the exam themes meaning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment