Sunday 25 November 2012

Matthew Midgley In-depth Analysis


Context:
This piece was made by Matthew Midgely who does the same thing for a living as Georgina Luck does; freelance illustrating. He graduated from college in 1992 and is now illustrating in West Yorkshire. He develops his style continuously by drawing in a sketch book, while being influenced by other contempary illustrators that focus on the urban life.

This picture was done on November 3rd 2012 to keep an account of what he ate that day. I have chosen this picture to analyse because I am fond of the simplisity of the layout of each image. This simple style has influenced me to draw each of my Matthew Midgely inspired pictures on a seperate page each with no in-depth thought of the layout for each page.

Meaning:
To further my understanding of the purpose of the image I looked at what he has to say about the picture on this website: http://matthewmidgley.wordpress.com/. On the website he clearly states that it is a picture of the breakfast he had that day as he said: "For breakfast I thought I’d try a bit more of a minimalist style. Especially as this was the first morning I’d felt like anything for substantial than tea! I just wanted to tuck in!'' The genre of art that I would associate this picture with is illustration because it is presenting to us what he ate, therefore the subject of the work would be; breakfast.

Aesthetic:
For this picture he has used a biro pen for the outline and detail of each object and waterproof pens to add colour. This is his explanation for the use of materials: 'Black ink gives a crisp, defined edge to my drawing work. Once initial outlines and detailing is complete I add watercolour wash'. 

Personal Response: 
I have selected this picture to analyse because it has inspired me to draw to some pictures in the same style. However I decided to use different materials; a Fine Liner pen, colouring in pencils, and a black watercolour paint. I made this decision because I wanted to be able to visualise the comparison between the different materials. I think that the use of biro pens in Matthew's pictures creates a better effect, like Matthew said, it gives it a 'crisp' defined edge. Whereas the Fine Liner Pen that I used gives my pictures a softer effect. 


A picture I drew after being inspired by Matthew Midgely





 I found this picture that was drawn and painted by Lynne Chapman and decided to put it on my blog because it reminds me of the work done by Matthew Midgley. this is due to the concept of food used, and the techniques/ equipment used to colour in the picture. I can clearly see that she has used a range of watercolour paints to colour the image in, just like Matthew Midgely does. I like the way that she has decided to use a range of colours, giving each food item a contrast in colours, which makes the drawing seem more realistic.

































No comments:

Post a Comment