Sunday 25 November 2012

Georgina Luck In-depth Analysis





















The picture I made after being inspired by Georgina's picture on the right
Context:
This piece of art was made by Georgina Luck. In 2006 she graduated from Bristol School of Art. She is now a contempary freelance illustrator who has had a wide range of clients; Marks & Spencer, Friends Of The Earth, Malo Media and Parragon. Her art includes various editorial and publishing commissions, as well as inspirations of food, packaging and everyday objects.

This painting has been made using ink which is one reason as to why I have chosen to analyse this picture; Georgina has inspired me to do a painting of a ketchup bottle using the same material (ink) and technique (splashing the ink onto the picture).

Meaning:
I would associate this picture with the theme of 'Everyday Objects'. This is because the tomato ketchup itself is a food substance that can be used everyday with other foods. I believe that Georgina Luck was simply inspired by the ketchup bottle to paint this.

Aesthetic:
By looking at the painting I can see that she has used a pencil to draw the outline and labels on the product. I like the way that she has sketched the picture onto the paper rather than drawing a perfect image with no mistakes; this adds to the messy effect created with the ink. As I have said before, she has used ink to fill in the picture. She has splashed red ink and possibly dabbed it in slightly with tissue or a paint brush to show the actual tomato ketchup. Georgina has then used a paint brush to paint the different sections on the lable. I think she decided to do this because it would have been difficult to splash ink onto the smaller sections. It also seems as if she has decided to carefully paint the important sections of the product; the labels.

Personal Response:
I have selected this picture to analyse because this picture in particular has inspired me to do a painting of a tomato ketchup bottle using ink to add colour. I thought carefully about the way I applied the red ink to the picture as I wanted it to have the same type of 'tomato explosion' effect as Georgina created. I love the way she has selected those colours in particular because I believe that they are the correct shades to resemble the actual product.

The drawings I did after being inspired by Georgina's technique of drawing (drawing the outlines with a Fine Liner pen:
 
 

3 comments: