Thursday 22 November 2012

Evaluation


1. Write an explanation of your brief: What did you have to do? How did you come up with the ideas for this project?
Throughout the course of the project I researched and analysed different types of typography. We used various equipment to do these experiments; computers; Adobe photoshop and illustrator, food, paint, ink, thread, flowers, pens and pencils. I then thought of a technique to use to apply to my t-shirt using my chosen phrase; 'Live Laugh Love'. To present my ideas and to help me think of what I wanted my final project to look like, I created a mood board and t-shirt designs. 

2. Write about the creative 'journey' of the project: How did you project and ideas evolve from start to finish through experimentation and research?
On my creative journey I had to figure out what technique (heat transfer or bleaching) I wanted to use to display the phrase : 'Live Laugh Love'. Eventually I decided to use the heat transfer technique to apply to different pieces; 'Live' and 'Laugh' which I wrote on the computer using Adobe Photoshop, and 'Love' which is a picture that I made using a Samsung digital camera. Throughout this journey as I gathered images and placed them on mood boards, I also created a mood board in my sketchbook and drew out some ideas of my final design idea. 

3. Who inspired your final outcomes?
Tien Min Liao and her use of hands presenting a type of typography is what inspired my final outcome. I think it was very creative for him to 'make' letters using fingers, arms and hands and paint. So I decided to do the same type of thing. However, rather than directly using people's hands and paint, I used their hand's shadows on the concrete which I think looked very interesting as the letters made are obvious as to what they are. 

An example of Tien Min Liao's typography: 




4. What saying or expression did you use? What technique did you use? Was there a link between your materials and the words used? What was it?
The phrase that I used was: 'Live Laugh Love'. To write the words 'Live' and 'Laugh' I used a font on photoshop called 'apple chancery' which is an italic font. Whereas to apply the word 'Love' I used a typography technique. I did this by using my friends hands and positioning their fingers to create the letters. They then placed their fingers high above the ground, blocking the sun light so that I could take a picture of the shadows.  

5. What do you think you have done well? What has worked? Are you happy with your final outcome?
I am very pleased with my final outcome because it looks exactly as I wanted it to. When I thought of the idea I was unsure if the picture and texts would go together. However, If I had a chance to change it I would use a darker colour for the text; ' Live Laugh'. 

6. What do you think you could have improved in your final outcome? There will be something - nobody is perfect!
If I could make an improvement on my final outcome, I would simply change the shade of pink I used for the text placed at the top. This is because I think it would allow the design to look more attractive. 

7. Conclusion: Overall how did you find the project? Would you like to complete more typographic work in the future?
Overall I found the whole project inspiring, creative and enjoyed as i discovered and experimented with different typography types. I will continue to do more typographic experiments in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment