Friday 21 February 2014

CD Packaging Project Evaluation

For this project I was required to design and create CD packaging for a recording artist of my choice. I went about this by firstly brainstorming themes of a particular song by the artist (The Weeknd) and visual elements that he was trying to convey through the use of metaphors for example, with his lyrics. I did this by sketchnoting, writing out the lyrics with images in relation to particular words as well as completing a 'song of the summer' sheet where I wrote down importants messages within the song, the style of the song and the mood it creates. Using these ideas I designed a logo and artwork for the album cover. As the song fit into the R&B genre and was a slow but moving I decided that an italic font would relate best to the recording artist. The first design I created was very bold and included a 'joiner' where the end of the letter 'd' and top of the letter 't' in the name 'The Weeknd' connected to bring across a calm, flowing vibe. Once I had a completed drawn font I then scanned it onto photoshop to manipulate it to make it more interesting, and noticable. I did this by using the gradient tool to blend colours together. I used the gradient tool rather than the paint bucket tool because the gradual blend of the colours created a link to the type of music my chosen recording artist plays. However, I became unsatisfied with the logo due to the heavy weight of each letter, taking away the relation between the font and the music. As a result of this I created a new font. As I wanted to portray a calm, free mood I decided that I would create my new logo design using a free hand and drawing it quickly with no thought, so that the design seemed less 'planned' and formatted. I believe that my new design was a success and has been featured on the interior of the packaging as a repeated pattern. For the rest of the artwork I took my own photos (as shown on my contact sheets) and altered a photo of The Weeknd using photoshop by making it into a silhouette. I took photos of balloons and hands holding wine in a wine glass to relate to the theme of a party as the song is called 'The Party And The After Party'. I edited these photos on photoshop in many ways, for example; using the blending tools, changing the colour to black and white. I also created a mixed media example by blending a digital experiment with a piece of screwed up tissue paper, using photoshop. I chose these types of experiments to relate to the use of metaphors in his song, as well as the image of the party portrayed with the use of the lyrics, involving a possibly confused girl. I also incorporated this theme/idea with the use of my smoke photographs. I believe that these experiments were successful, and therefore used a blending experiment as the background which I added a pale green tone to, to match the logo. I chose this colour because it presents a calm mood, which is a colour used in hospitals for the same purpose. However, I think that I could have explored the use of photography more by photographing more objects, people etc, to take away the simplicity of the artwork, which would not be taken a completely due to the use of the colour and photographs of smoke.

I found this project very enjoyable, and feel that it has allowed me to expand on my skills when using photoshop. It has also allowed me to successfully use a combination of imagery to portray one idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment